1. I realized I didn’t post about my no-waste challenge week. We did pretty good. No non-compostable food waste except a handful of onions taken out of a cream sauce. We did have some waste with a package of cherries that we got from the grocery store that were basically half rotten and had to be tossed almost immediately and some bananas that I didn’t even have enough energy to turn into muffins. A nice reminder about buying local, huh? I know there were some serious opportunities (bananas), but it’s been one of THOSE weeks. In the end we ate a lot of leftovers and incorporated things that might spoil (cream, ham, veggies) into new dishes rather than forgetting they were in the back of the refrigerator. A good lesson and by god a hard one.
2. Back to Michael Pollan’s “In Defense of Food” for a July book discussion over at Ideal Bite. You already know about my Michael Pollan crush, right? Every time I read his books or listen to him speak my head almost falls off I’m nodding with excitement so hard. So I’m re-reading this weekend. AND remember the Food Inc trailer I posted here, my good, good friend and I are going to go next weekend to Baltimore to see it. Girls day in the city. YES.
3. Speaking of this weekend, girls and I are off to my Aunt’s house in West Virginia for 4th of July weekend, so don’t look for any posts until late Sunday. I will be blissfully disconnected from the world in the lovely mountains and enjoying every sweet minute. Look for photo overload in the coming weeks.
4. My house is driving me INSANE. This art of simplifying is constantly being beaten back by serious lack of time, two children who are whirlwinds of mess and the simple fact that every time I gather up stuff to get out of here, more stuff keeps finding it’s way back in. The problem is that I never fully cleaned out after the move last year (eleven years of stuff) and the whole aspect of it is so overwhelming I seem to take a look around and go, ” hmmm” and then walk back out of the room.
5. And while I am complaining, I bought a bathroom scale this week. Yes. Scary. Very scary. However, I weighed about 15 pounds less than I expected (hooray) but still about twenty-five pounds too much (boohoo). I’m not sure why I can’t tip the scale (so to speak, ha) toward my need to lose weight versus my constant want to eat. Notice I said WANT to eat versus NEED. Can someone please offer me a gym membership and perhaps one of those life coaches to get my life in gear? I’m kidding. It appears every life coach in the U.S. is following me on Twitter along with every “social media expert”. If you are on Twitter, you will know what I mean.
6. To end on a better note. There are only fourteen days until the “Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince” release and tonight I saw new clips online. Ahhhhh, the uber-geeky Harry Potter fanatic in me is unleashed yet again. If you happen to also be an uber-geeky Harry Potter fan, you can see one here.
7. My apologies as to falling behind on blog visits this week. Did I mention it was one of THOSE weeks. Hopefully will catch up soon.